Online Casino Licences - The Complete Canadian Guide 2023
Knowing who to trust on the web is important and the same is true for playing at a safe online casino.
One of the key factors to consider is if a casino holds a valid gaming licence. On this page, our industry professionals guide you through what a casino licence is and what to look for. Read on to discover all you need to know.
Trusted Online Casinos List
- Large games library
- Generous wagering requirements
- Good welcome bonus package
- Highly valuable welcome offer
- VIP program available
- Exclusive slots
- Audited by several organisations
- Huge variety of live games
- Multi-tier welcome offer
- Dozens of jackpot slots
- Exclusive welcome offer
- Trusted payment options
- Max Deposit $6000
- Min Deposit $30
- Cryptocurrencies accepted
- Fast withdrawal times
- Excellent customer support
- Min Deposit $1
Safest Casino Licences in Canada
It goes without saying that we recommend you only join an online casino that holds a licence. But with all the different licences out there, how do you know which ones to trust? The good news is that there are plenty of reputable online casino licence providers.
In Canada, we are often looking at sites that are regulated by the Kahnawake Gaming Commission. They play a central role in creating legislation for online gambling in the country and have been doing so for the best part of the last two decades. Because of their strict rules, they have become widely regarded as one of the top regulators in the industry.
Other trusted licences include:
- Malta Gaming Authority
- AAMS (ADM)
- The Curacao Gaming Board
- United Kingdom Gambling Commission (UKGC)
- Isle of Man Gambling Supervision Commission
- Gibraltar Regulatory Authority: Gambling Commissioner
- Swedish Gambling Authority (Lotteriinspektionen)
These are generally the licences that you will come across in our reviews. That’s not to say that there aren’t smaller authorities, because there are. The likes of Mexico City, Spain, New Jersey, Cyrus and Estonia also provide good gaming licences. However, these aren’t very relevant in the Canadian market.
What Do Gaming Authorities Do?
The role of a gaming authority is huge. Before an online casino can legally operate online, it must obtain at least one licence (ensuring it covers the country they operate in). This process can be timely and the casino must meet a lot of requirements. These include:
- Site Security
- Responsible gambling tools
- Trusted payment methods
- Fair games
There are a lot more legal procedures too. Company directors are scrutinized and a casino has to prove it has financial backing as well industry knowledge.
For players, this means that you can feel safe registering with a licensed online casino because it has met the high standards needed to obtain one.
We would also note that if a casino holds more than one online casino licence, this is a huge mark of trust. Licences are required for different locations, and each gaming authority will have its own rules and regulations. If an online casino can satisfy multiple authorities, you can be sure that it is trusted.
How Do Legal Online Casinos Differ From Illegal Casinos?
The main reason that we strongly suggest registering with a licensed online casino is that a site is liable for its actions. When you play at an unlicensed casino - anything goes. So, if you land a big win there is no guarantee that the casino will pay you as there is no one regulating them.
Therefore, we can only advise registering with legitimate online casinos that hold trusted licences. There are three main advantages of playing on a licensed site.
- Criminal Liability. A licensed operator must adhere to the laws of its governing body. If it does not comply, then it is subject to legal proceedings. The licensing body will always defend the player in these types of cases. Not only is an online casino subject to fines, but it can also lose its licence.
- Initiation of Legal Proceedings. You can lodge official complaints with the governing body. They will fully investigate your claims and the online casino will need to provide sufficient evidence to prove they are in the right. It won’t be a quick process, but if you were playing at an unlicensed casino, this wouldn’t be an option.
- Software and Game Monitoring. Licensed sites are subject to random audits. The licence provider can check the operator's software at any time to ensure it works as it should. RTP % (return to player) games will be tested, as well as all RNG (random number generator) games. This ensures that players can trust that they are gambling on a fair and transparent site.
Register at a Licensed Online Casino
It is crucial that you sign up with a licensed online casino. If you choose to play at a site not listed on our pages, please check the footer to see what licence or licences the casino has.
Bear in mind that you will need to verify your ID at a licensed casino. This is part of the licence requirements as it protects against minors and vulnerable people playing. It also adds an extra element of trust to the casino’s financial transactions.
In summary, it is always best to play at a licensed casino. Even if a bonus looks great, playing on a fraudulent or untrustworthy site is not worth the risk.
Check out our list of the best-licensed casinos in Canada for a safe and fun playing experience.
Online Casino Licences FAQ
- What are the advantages of playing at a licenced gambling site?
One of the benefits of playing at a licensed and regulated casino is knowing that their practices will be fair and transparent and your money is protected. A licensed gambling site will be liable for its actions as they are constantly monitored by one or more regulators.
- How can I find the best licensed Canadian casinos?
One way to see what licence or licences the casino has, is to check the footer of the casino’s website. If you want to be absolutely sure of a safe and fun playing experience, you can select any casino from our list of the best licensed casinos in Canada.
- Which online casino licences can I trust?
There are many different licences out there, how do you know which ones to trust? In this article, we’ll sum up all the reputable online casino license providers in the Canadian market.